Important model change with fuel-injected engine in YZ250F-based chassis which brings new levels of agility to the 450 class. Bodywork is all-new, with a modern and slim-line design which underlines the 250-class dimensions and also has a 30mm lower seat height than the previous model.
The lighter feel of the bike is a distinct advantage in corners and as competition riders know, a fraction of a second saved in every corner can add up to a massive advantage over a whole race!
Test rider Erik Eggens says: "What you notice immediately is the light handling and smooth turning of the bike. It feels indeed more like a YZ 250F! The new suspension is great, even in the most difficult terrain, it lets you take obstacles whether its with low or with high speed."
About the engine he commented: "Riding is easier because of the direct throttle response and the torque which is so useable. And the engine gives better acceleration at all rpm levels."
Engine: now with fuel injection
• Ultra-reliable liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, 5-valve, 449cc engine
• Wide, controllable powerband and explosive acceleration
• Titanium valves and DOHC construction enable a high rpm range
• The engine has an enduro-specific camshaft profile and 5-speed gearbox
• Fuel injection system for efficient and effective engine running in the widest range of altitude, air temperature and weather conditions
• An optional Power Tuner is available to adjust engine mapping on the track; This can be used to finetune the settings to suit specific track conditions or riding styles; No laptop is needed; Up to 9 different maps can be stored and saved.
• A higher capacity generator matches the demands of the new fuel injection system, and a condenser is added for reliable kick starts in case of a problem with the battery function
• A lightweight and compact fuel pump is used, as on the YZ-F models
Chassis: YZ250F base
• Slimline and compact frame design from the famous YZ250F, with enduro-specific shape changes and adjusted engine and subframe mountings
• Elaborate, lightweight aluminium construction of the frame, using a mix of forged, extruded and panel parts in various thickness, for an ideal balance of rigidity and strength for enduro conditions
• Excellent rider feedback, allowing the rider to feel what the bike is doing and respond accordingly
• Slimline plastic resin fuel tank is mounted inside the frame beams, with 7.2 litre capacity
• Wheelbase is 1475mm which is 25mm shorter than the previous model
• Suspension settings are tuned for enduro use and fully adjustable, front and rear; Lightweight and flex-resistant 48 mm cartridge type front fork as on the latest YZ-F models
• Fuel warning lamp on the dashboard lights up when less than 2 litres are remaining
• Black Excel rims, Pro-Taper handlebar and Wave type front and rear discs express the professional quality of the bike.
The 2012 WR450F will be supplied by Authorised Yamaha Dealers with WVTA specifications. A separate Competition Kit is also available for those riders who will be using the machine in closed course enduros. The kit comprises a number of race-specification performance parts including an exhaust pipe (with built-in resonator), silencer, tail pipe, 13/50 sprocket set and other items.